Position: Health Center Manager
Responsible To : Chief of Health Center Operations
Department: Back Support
The Health Center Manager is responsible for the professional and administrative work of the health centers’ day-to-day operations. They are tasked with assigning, directing, supervising, and coordinating staff in providing quality health care to patients of Camarena Health. The Health Center Manager prepares department budgets, places controls over budget expenditures, is responsible for the overall management of their respective department(s) human resources by ensuring that adequate staffing is scheduled, that staff are well trained, that clinical competencies are confirmed and evaluated regularly, and attends to staff and patient complaints. This position will play a key role in facilitating Managed Care Audits,
measures and evaluates programs and processes within the health center along with collaborating cross departmentally on organizational initiatives, programs, and compliance. S/he maintains effective communication with business units of the organization, and external community groups and agencies.
- Arrives on time and adheres to set schedule.
- Managing on the floor 70% of the time
- Warm, positive, energetic and professional demeanor
- Effectively manages staff by ensuring that they adhere to health center policies and procedures impacting workflow and patient experiences
- Effective and sensitive in addressing staff and patient needs with by telephone or face to face. (change to: Effective telephone and etiquette skills)
- Collect and records data accurately.
- Maintain open communication with supervisor and all staff, acting as a liaison between site staff and patients.
- Use of professionalism and best efforts in the position.
- Resolve issues in an effective and timely manner
Duties and Responsibilities:
Works closely with the Chief of Health Center Operations (CHCO) and other members of the organization’s management team to:
- Be responsible for leading and managing the Camarena Health clinic location and supporting Camarena Health’s vision of quality health care and excellent customer service.
- Define the Camarena Health mission, vision, and goals at the site level and be effective in communicating these directives to staff who work there.
- Ensure support staff are adhering to patient collection procedures and medical provider schedules are properly maintained and appointment slots are utilized accurately and efficiently
- Oversee the delivery of patient services to include reviewing provider schedules and forecasting data
- Recruit support staff personnel, supervise, and direct health center support staff to ensure the center operations in an effective manner, ensuring the patients receive a high-quality care and excellent customer service.
- Complete various special projects that may require reviewing and analyzing information, identifying problems, recommending solutions, and writing reports.
- Ensure quality control facility measures are met according to guidelines set forth by Health Plans and other agencies
- Understand and enforce Camarena Health standard operating procedures
PERFORMANCE AREA 1: Leadership & Management
- By inspiring confidence and by motivating, lead health center staff members to accomplish all job objectives within the health center
- Develops support staff through all aspects of the talent life cycle for operations, hiring, mentoring, engagement, retention, performance management and succession planning.
- Help establish and implement goals, objectives, policies and procedures, and general operations systems for the health center.
- Monitor and control their respective department budget.
- Responsible for the oversight of the health center’s patient productivity, and to provide staff with feedback on these activities.
- Foster the goals of team-building with all health center staff.
- Demonstrate appropriate delegations and coordination of tasks and duties within the health center to ensure they are met in a timely and error-free manner.
- Support the organization by developing the leadership and management skills of staff through delegation of responsibilities and tasks.
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems by identifying key factors and providing quality solutions
- Ensure excellent use of health center resources by researching best price and quality.
- Understand and demonstrate a working knowledge of practice management systems.
- Understand and be knowledgeable on payor sources including Medicare, Medi-Cal, managed care, fee-for-service, State specialty programs, etc.
- Ensure that support service departments align with established health center billing practices.
- Understand and follow the health center patient compliant policy and procedure and take appropriate action on issues.
- Use a patient-centered approach to managing patient issues and concerns while also striving for a “win-win” conclusion.
- Maintain confidentiality of patient information as per Camarena Health Corporate Compliance program.
- Implement policies and procedures in accordance with local, State, and Federal regulations.
- Ensure that the site documents, reports, and records incidents by completing incident reports in a timely manner.
- Develop effective working relationships with staff, and understand the patients of the health center and their needs.
- Assist providers with development activities associated with building a successful practice.
- Assist and remedy identified billing issues at the site level by using a team approach while including support staff and providers.
- Foster teamwork with the health center as well as organization-wide.
- Access data to effectively manage health center operations by leveraging quality improvement tools and personnel.
- Demonstrate effective communication methods and define the appropriate line of authority for the health center to keep in line with the overall organizational structure.
- Implement staff ratios and standards for health center activities and programs while being mindful of economical use of resources.
- Work with supervisory staff to coordinate staffing and attendance of personnel to ensure adequate support within the health center.
PERFORMANCE AREA 2: General Corporate Expectations
- Actively participate in all meetings (e.g. department meetings, committee meetings, employee staff meetings) and other activities as required or assigned by CHCO.
- Seek to attend workshops/seminars as necessary to increase skills and knowledge to provide effective care, treatment, and/or leadership.
- Support the overall needs of the health center by working flexible or extended hours when necessary.
- Support the needs of the health center by traveling to other Camarena Health locations when staffing needs dictate the need for additional management personnel.
- Demonstrate awareness of, and compliance with, organizational mission and objectives of Camarena Health to provide health care access and support services for all members of the community.
- Support own staff development of direct reports by completing the required hours of continuing education each year.
- Other work-related duties as assigned by CHCO. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally either verbally, or in writing.
- Maintain confidentiality and respect for information regarding patients and other team members; abides by Camarena Health Rules of Confidentiality and general HIPAA regulations regarding privacy.
- Display a positive, professional, and respectful demeanor at all times toward employees, peers, professional contacts, and patients served, maintaining a professional appearance and positive image for the health center.
- Contribute to the team by promoting positive staff interaction, maintain open communication with other departments, and strong participation in other health center activities.
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree with coursework in Business Administration, Health Services, or related field preferred
- One year of management experience, or 2 years of supervisory experience preferred.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in a health care setting
- Bilingual (English / Spanish) preferred
- Effective oral and written skills
- General medical terminology
- Understanding of electronic health record and practice management system
- Intermediate to expert computer user experience
- Telephone courtesy; customer-service oriented
- Modern office practices and procedures including email
- Attention to detail and excellent follow-through on work tasks
- Demonstrate good problem-solving skills
- Able to track multiple tasks and complete promptly and accurately
- Able to quickly build and maintain rapport with patients and providers of differing backgrounds; team player.
- Must be able to move up to 20 pounds and push up to 50 pounds (on wheels).
- Must be able to hear staff on the phone and those who are served in-person, and speak clearly in order to communicate information to patients and staff.
- Must be able to have vision that is adequate to read memos, computer screens, and personnel forms, clinical and administrative documents.
- Must have high manual dexterity.
- Must be able to reach above shoulder level to work, must be able to bend, squat, sit, stand, stoop, crouch, reach, kneel, twist, and turn.