Position: Medical Unit Clerk
Responsible To : Medical Unit Clerk Lead & Back Support Supervisor
Department: Back Support
The Medical Unit Clerk assists the medical staff by performing a wide variety of clerical tasks that require medical training and background. The purpose of the position is to increase the efficiency of the service delivery unit with the MUC’s functioning as a vital member of the Camarena Health team. It is expected that personnel in this position are detailed oriented. The MUC reports to the Medical Unit Clerk Lead to ensure continuity and oversight to the position.
- Arrives on time and adheres to set schedule.
- Promote comprehensive and clear response to questions.
- Effective and sensitive in addressing patients’ need in telephone or face to face.
- Collects and records data accurately
- Provides basic education and information to patients
- Maintains open communication with supervisor and all staff, acting as a liaison between medical staff and patients
- Maintains cleanliness and order of work area, equipment and supplies
- Use of professionalism and best efforts in your position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITES
- Focus on Patients and Patient Flow and Customer Service:
- 1. Supports the activities of the Back Office staff by acting as a receptionist/clerk for pod activities.
- 2. Supports the activities of the pods by answering telephones, responding promptly to patient inquiries, and following through with patient and provider requests.
- 3. Functions as part of the Camarena Health quality improvement group by actively ensuring that the quality of information collected is correct and matches the requests of the Medical Assistants and the providers.
- 4. Focuses on patient support by actively listening to patient issues and requests, recording pertinent information accurately and remains responsive at all times to the needs of patients, clinicians, and other team members.
- 5. Supports the efficiency of the MUC group by routing all patient complaints/grievances to Medical Unit Clerk Lead and/ or Back Support Supervisor.
- 6. Respects and protects information regarding patients and other team members, as guided by the Confidentiality Protocol.
- 7. Assists providers with language translation and assistance where necessary
- 8. Receives telephoned patient information (prescription, laboratory, and diagnostic results) and notifies appropriate medical staff of the results for follow up.
- 9. Follows-up on clinicians’ requests and /or orders (e.g., patient call-back, refills, messages, etc.)
- 10. Maintains open communication with Medical Unit Clerk Lead and all staff tasked with quality patient care and customer service.
- 11. Promotes mutual respect and allows others to get their work done by limiting non-work-related interruptions.
- Focus on Environment and Support System and Materials: Coordinates day-to-day functioning of support system materials and resources.
2.1. Maintains office equipment for the unit; notifies lead of any malfunctions of equipment and initiates work requests; logs and tracks for prompt repair
2.2. Orders unit supplies (e.g., forms, printer labels, etc.)
2.3. Utilizes computer to access and obtain labs, appointments, patient information, medication, and dictations
2.4. Maintains work area clean and free of clutter
- Focus on off-site services and services delivery relationship
3.1. Maintain positive rapport with outside doctors’ offices and facilities.
3.2. Demonstrate basic knowledge of types of services provided by outside facilities.
- Focus on Teamwork, Focus on Corporate Expectations/Standards:
4.1. Employees are expected to work as a team, and be flexible to work at our other facilities as needed.
4.2. Works flexible or extended hours where necessary
4.3. Demonstrates self-initiative & self-motivation to help the team with work flow; good team player. Acquires and maintains the knowledge and skill necessary to work in all service pods.
4.4. All Appointment Clerks act as a back-up to each other by learning all functions.
4.5. Various other duties as assigned by supervisor; duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, verbally, or in writing
4.6. Attends and actively participates in all meetings (e.g., team meetings, department meetings, program meetings, case management meetings, employee staff meetings) and other activities as required or assigned.
4.7. Attends workshops/seminars as necessary to increase skills and knowledge to provide effective support.
4.8. Supports the overall work of the health center by working flexible or extended hours where necessary to ensure consistent patient access and quality of service.
4.9. Demonstrates awareness of, and compliance with, organizational mission and objective of Camarena Health to provide health care access and support services for all members of the community.
4.10. Other work-related duties as assigned by supervisor; duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally either verbally or in writing.
4.11. Maintains confidentiality and respect for information regarding patients and other team members; abides by Camarena Health Rules of Confidentiality.
- High School Diploma or GED
- College or Technical School Completion
- CCMA Certification or equivalent (Has to be obtained within 6 months of your date of hire)
- Two to three years clerical experience in healthcare setting.
- Bilingual (English/ Spanish) preferred
- Effective oral and written skills;
- General medical terminology and standard abbreviations used in medical notations
- Understanding of basic patient chart procedures and medical record systems;
- Intermediate to expert computer user experience;
- Telephone courtesy; customer-service oriented;
- Modern office practices and procedures including email;
- Attention to detail and excellent follow-through on work tasks:
- Demonstrated good problem-solving skills;
- Able to track multiple tasks and complete promptly and accurately;
- Able to quickly build and maintain rapport with patients and providers of differing backgrounds; team player
- Must be able to move up to 20 pounds and push up to 50 pounds (on wheels)
- Must be able to hear staff on the phone and those who are served in-person, and speak clearly in order to communicate information to clients and staff
- Must be able to read memos, a computer screen, personnel forms and clinical and administrative documents
- Must have high manual dexterity
- Must be able to reach above the shoulder level to work, bend, squat and sit, stand, stoop, crouch, reach, kneel, twist/turn