Position: Registered Dental Assistant
Responsible To : Dental Back Lead
The Registered Dental Assistant provides or facilitates the provision of information needed by both patients and clinicians to ensure a smooth and well-connected patient flow. S/he also adheres to current infection control procedures “Universal Precautions.” The Registered Dental Assistant must have the ability to make the patients feel comfortable during their visit while providing effective and technically competent dental assistance to both patients and Camarena Health dental providers.
- Arrives on time and adheres to set schedule.
- To provide prompt dental support and promote a smooth patient flow
- Collect and record data accurately into the patients’ electronic dental record
- Maintains order of exam rooms, equipment and supplies
- Provide basic oral health education and information to patients
- Use of professionalism and best efforts in your position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITES
- Focus on Patient Flow: Maintains effective smooth patient flow (within site or suite). Provides assistance as needed with patient work up or dismissal. Is responsive to needs of patients, clinicians, and team members
- Maintain smooth, effective patient flow by communicating room availability with other team members and dental providers.
- Keep dental providers updated on any changes regarding patient flow (i.e., how many patients, type of visit, clarify unknowns, etc.).
- Communicate with Dental Services Manager when help is need on the floor.
- Communicate any delays or changes of schedule to front support, health educator, and dental providers.
- Ensure that operatory rooms are neatly prepared and set up appropriately.
- Assist providers with dental exams, dental procedures, referrals, and translations.
- Focus on Patient Customer Service: Responds to and connects effectively with patients. Listens to our customers, treats them with respect, gives them the quality they expect and deserve and responds immediately to their problems and needs
- Listen attentively to patients’ complaints and/or concerns regarding their dental visit.
- Retrieve and maintain all information regarding patient (i.e., medication, update medical/dental history, allergies, etc.) into Dentrix.
- Check with patients and clarify questions regarding any instructions during patient work up or patient prescriptions.
- Route all patient complaints and/or grievances to site manager and/or supervisor.
- Provide patients with required oral health education material including brochures and inform patients of content.
- Focus on Teamwork: Shows consideration through consistent participation: ready at work on time and consistently prepared. Fully and clearly discloses key information to any team member in order to facilitate getting work done, problems solved, decisions made, etc. Maintains confidentiality in essential matters; such as patient information, and personal issues.
- Employees are expected to work as a team, and be flexible to work at our other facilities as needed.
- Demonstrates self-initiative & self-motivation to help the team with work flow; good team player. Acquires and maintains the knowledge and skill necessary to work in all service pods.
- Demonstrates consistent support and cooperation with all staff members, regardless of unit, department, or level.
- Consistently reports to work on time. Internalizes attendance policies and makes effective and workable decisions for self, families and service delivery.
- Promotes mutual respect and allows others to get their work done by limiting interruptions.
- Fits in well with team, gets along well with peers.
- Demonstrates integrity and honesty
- Participates in health center in-services; listens to and respects others’ ideas
- Demonstrates good problem solving skills, offer input/ideas when generating solutions.
- Various other duties as assigned by supervisor. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally either verbally or in writing.
- Focus on Support System and Materials:
- Follow radiation safety guidelines and take digital x-rays per protocol.
- Adhere to Universal Precautions and General Office Safety measures.
- Registered Dental Assistant duties as defined in “Table of Permitted Duties.”
- Inform supervisor of any maintenance needed on equipment and initiate work request.
- Stock operatories with necessary dental supplies and keep all work areas clean and clutter free.
- Perform Coronal Polish and Sealants as needed.
- Disinfect, sterilize, and autoclave instruments according to guidelines.
- Perform sterilization biological monitoring, housekeeping schedules, and maintain the logs.
- Assist provider with filling out lab slips, communicate with lab, and follow up with lab cases.
- Utilize computer to access and obtain patients electronic clinical chart, x-rays, appointments, patient information, and medication.
- Focus on Infection control and maintenance of dental equipment:
- Practices universal precaution per protocol and keeps work areas clean and clutter free
- Disinfects, sterilizes, and autoclaves dental equipment according to guidelines
- Cleans & disinfects rooms for next patient
- Maintains daily log upkeep
- Initiates work request for any malfunctions of equipment, then obtain Supervisor’s approval
- Focus on Corporate Expectations/Standards:
- Attends and actively participates in all meetings (e.g., team meetings, department meetings, program meetings, case management meetings, employee staff meetings) and other activities as required or assigned.
- Attends workshops/seminars as necessary to increase skills and knowledge to provide effective support.
- Works flexible or extended hours where necessary.
- Demonstrates awareness of, and compliance with, organizational mission and objective of Camarena Health to provide health care access and support services for all members of the community.
- Other work-related duties as assigned by supervisor; duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally either verbally or in writing.
- Maintains confidentiality and respect for information regarding patients and other team members; abides by Camarena Health Rules of Confidentiality.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Registered Dental Assistant Certificate
- Radiation Safety Certificate
- CPR/BLS Certificate
- Coronal Polishing Certificate
- Sealant Certificate
- Minimum of one (1) year prior experience in a dental setting or externship at Camarena Health facility may be substituted for the one (1) year of prior experience.
- Bilingual (English-Spanish) preferred.
- Effective oral and written skills, general report writing skills.
- General dental terminology and standard abbreviations used in dental notations.
- Telephone courtesy; customer-service oriented.
- Modern office practices and procedures including email.
- Intermediate to expert user computer skills.
- Highly organized.
- Attention to detail and excellent follow-through on work tasks.
- Demonstrated good problem-solving skills.
- Able to track multiple tasks and complete promptly.
- Able to quickly build and maintain rapport with patients and providers of differing backgrounds; team player.